01 September 2006

Ladies, Can We Be Honest?

For most law students, the fall of their second year is the first time they learn first-hand just how awful interviewing can be. Right now, the second years are doing mock interviews with lawyers from Eugene to perfect their interviewing skills before they have real interviews. I guess it is a good idea, but I'm a little troubled by the lack of feedback the participants receive. Usually, you interview with the person and then they take a few minutes to say things like, "Don't say 'um' so much." or, "Consider washing off a little of the patchouli before you do a real interview." (Maybe that is just at the U of O?)

Now, I know I am not the font of all successful interviewing knowledge, but I do have a tip - STOP! Hammer Time! - for my female counterparts as they start the stressful process of finding a summer job: Please, do not wear a pant suit.

I'm all for women having careers and blah, blah, blah. But a pant suit is sending the wrong message. Somewhere, sometime, some career services advisor told you that a pant suit would convey to a potential employer that you are assertive, strong-willed, and professional. That career services advisor was wrong. A pant suit conveys one message: You're dating Rosie.

But more than that, there are some real problems with pant suits. First, well, first is the whole lesbian thing. Second, no one looks good in a pant suit. Here are some professional models wearing pant suits. Trust me; this is as good as pant suits can possibly look. Here is a gal sitting in a pant suit. This one is giving a "thumbs up." Thumbs ups are for suckers. Peek-a-boo! OK, maybe she doesn't have a pant suit on, but I couldn't pass up that one. This one is trying to sleep her way up to the top. See, they just don't look right. Finally, why are you wearing pants if you don't have to? I don't know any guy who wouldn't prefer to wear a skirt if he could. I mean the ventilation alone is worth it. And poor ventilation can lead to very, very bad things.

So, do yourselves a favor. Wear a skirt whenever you can. Employers will appreciate it. You'll feel better. Trust me, I'm a dude, I know these things.

8 comments:

Lizzy said...

I think this blog was another lame attempt to free up some closet space. I'm not throwing them out!

Informant said...

I gave it a shot.

Sammy Pow said...

Not only does pant suit scream rug-muncher it also says, I'm a mega mega mega bee-otch.

Remember when Corky St.Claire bought a pant suit for his "wife" Bonnie? Well, he's gay too.

Lizzy said...

"...we started talking...about panty hose..."

Tara said...

I heartily disagree. Some pant suits can be very flattering for women. Just ask Stacy & Clinton! (I know you are a fan)

Informant said...

I don't know Stacy or Clinton. Hillary Clinton? But I do know that pant suits are never flattering. Even the models wearing pant suits look uncomfortable.

Lizzy said...

Stacy and Clinton are from What Not To Wear. Come on, John. You watch TLC enough, you should know.

Alifinale said...

I miss TLC and watching what not to wear! If I wear pant suits and other crappy garb for a few weeks will you guys "secretly" video me so I can go on the show? I want a new wardrobe and for them to say, "You're hot, you just have to wear things that are more flattering"