31 October 2006

NPR Asks for Your Donations

NPR is currently doing its annual (or is it monthly?) donation drive.

This is the worst time to listen to NPR for several reasons. First, all the regularly-scheduled programs are interrupted by NPR lackies to ask for money. Second, suggested contributions are always compared to the current price of a latte. Third, the DJs (or whatever they are called) use guilt totally ineffectively.

I have never contributed to NPR and I probably never will. If NPR weren't on the radio, I could find something else to listen to. And another thing, what is so bad about having NPR run commercials? I mean the donation drive takes up as much time as commercials do anyway.

When you get right down to it, NPR won't get any money from me because the stories they run aren't that great and I can get the news from a million other sources. If NPR starts running some good stories, I'll start donating.

Here's an example:

5 comments:

Tara said...

I agree NPR is mostly crap. It's a total snooze fest if you ask me. I mean how about adding some exciting music here and there to really jazz things up a bit? And their voices - oh their voices! I can't stand them. So soft sounding. It makes me want to punch people!

Lizzy said...

Listening to NPR is about as entertaining as listening to sports on a radio. Or watching sports on TV. Or even live. It sucks so much.

Hearing about Schweaty balls on the other hand is very funny.

Sammy Pow said...

I like NPR. Maybe I will donate some day. They will have to interview me for something sweet though.

Anonymous said...

I'm a big fan of NPR but I admit that I hate the membership drives. The only thing I hate worse than NPR membership drives though are commercials. If there were a station that had no commercials and no membership drives I'd never change the channel. If only KOHS were on in Virginia...

Marc said...

You are what economists would call a freerider.